Tuesday, January 8, 2008

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Greatings in the beautiful Name of Jesus!The last few weeks have been quite busy. I came to Florida to take care of our grandsons, Ethan and Evan, the two oldest ones. For they were on Christmas break and so I came down to care for them while Mommy worked. Of course the youngest, Easton goes with her for she works in a child care. So he is able to attend the classes. But on top of all that I am here thinking about having to go back home and packing to move. I only have a week and a half to get everything packed and discarded. Yeah I need to make some things disappear. That is going to be hard. With all that we have accumelated. With this all on my mind I am starting to let the human part of me kick in and I am getting anxious. I don't like doing that. This morning I talked with Jim, my husband and there is so much that needs to be done. Does anyone else ever go there? Worrying and letting it way on you? This morning in my devotions I believe God put this lesson on me. For it is what came up when I had my devotions. The Title:


"When Life Goes Bad"
Reading in 1 Samuel 30:1-6
Now it happened, when David and his men came to Ziklag, on the third day. that the Amalekites had invaded the South and Ziklag, attacked Ziklag and burned it with fire, and had taken captive the women and those who were there, from small to great; they did not kill anyone, but carried them away and went their way.So David and his men came to the city, and there it was, burned with fire; and their wives, their sons, and their daughters had been taken captive. Then David and the people who were with him lifed up their voices and wept, until they had no more power to weep. And David's two wives, Ahinoam the Jezreelitess, and Abigail the widow of Nabal the Carmetlite, had been taken captive. Now David was greatly distressed, for the people spoke of stoning him, because the soul of all the people was grieved, every man for his sons and his daughters. But David strengthedned himself in the Lord his God.
Everything looked bleak to David and his men when they arrived at Ziklag (1Sam. 30:1-6). The Amalekites had attacked the city and taken their wives and children captive. The men were so discouraged that they wept until they had no more energy. And David, their leader, was "greatly distressed" because the people were contemplating stoning him (v.6).
In the end, David's army rescued their families and defeated the Amalekites. But the story takes a great turn even before that when "David strengthened himself in the Lord his God" (v.6). Other translations use the words encouraged or refreshed.
The text doesn't say exacty how David did this. But it makes me wonder. In what ways can we strengthen, encourage, or refresh ouselves in the Lord when we're feeling discouraged?
First, we can remember what God has done.
We can list the ways He has cared for us in the past, and how He has provided for us or answered a prayer request.
Second, we can remember what God has promised."
Be strong and of good couage; ... for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go" (Josh. 1:9).

Like David, let's learn to strengthen ourselves in the Lord, and then let's leave the rest with Him. -Anne Cetas-

I will strengthen," so take courage,
Child of God, so weak and frail.
God has said so, and it must be,
For His promise cannot fail! -Anon.

No comments: